BLOGGER TEMPLATES AND TWITTER BACKGROUNDS

Monday, August 24, 2009

Daffodils

I have this friend from school.He's one of my bestest friends ever( although he's the biggest snob on earth). This guy, he's not ur average guy.. He likes classic poems(I can't name one guy i know that has read any poetry apart from the ones in the curriculum). Six years ago we were prescribed the poem "Daffodils" by William Wordsworth he like the poem so much that named his digital self ram_daffodils(email,IM everything).He's brothers getting married this weekend and Ram had his email id printed on the invitation and Voila! he still hadn't changed it! i seriously dunno what to make out of it. All said and done though it made me revisit daffodils in my head and i realised what a wonderful poem it really is.. so good that i'll reproduce it here.. enjoy!


I wandered lonely as a cloud
That floats on high o'er vales and hills,
When all at once I saw a crowd,
A host, of golden daffodils;
Beside the lake, beneath the trees,
Fluttering and dancing in the breeze.

Continuous as the stars that shine
And twinkle on the milky way,
They stretched in never-ending line
Along the margin of a bay:
Ten thousand saw I at a glance,
Tossing their heads in sprightly dance.

The waves beside them danced, but they
Out-did the sparkling leaves in glee;
A poet could not be but gay,
In such a jocund company!
I gazed—and gazed—but little thought
What wealth the show to me had brought:

For oft, when on my couch I lie
In vacant or in pensive mood,
They flash upon that inward eye
Which is the bliss of solitude;
And then my heart with pleasure fills,
And dances with the daffodils.

William Wordswoth

BTW if U are or U know any guy who reads classic poetry, drop a comment, so that i can assure Ram he ain't alone in this.

5 comments:

Vigneash said...

I no a guy called Rajaram in office...

He's a Shakespeare freak.
He knows all his sonnets by-heart!!!!!

Sharanya said...

@ Vigneash:

ALL HIS SONNETS?!?!?!?!?! That's PRETTY amazing..there are about 154 of them! I feel inferior now, I love learning his sonnets off too, but I've only managed to learn about 2 so far!


@ Harshni:

Haha, well, you can tell your friend that everyone who does a BA is with him on this one :) Daffodils may not be my favourite poem, and I may not appreciate Will Wordsworth as much I love the other Romantics/20th century poets, but it's great to know people who like to read poetry just because they enjoy it :)

Ask your friend to read this one by Wordsworth, it's called Ode: Intimations of Immortality from Recollections of Early Childhood. It's a very un-Wordsworthish poem because it's not happy/bouncy all the way, but it's marvellous, the way he manages to provoke thought by introducing questionable notions. Will's basic point here is that he equates nature with divinity, and he says that we are able to feel this glory only when we are children. As we grow up, we are left with nothing but RECOLLECTIONS of those feelings and are thus able to merely recall the shadow of those feelings..if not reproduce them again.

You can read it here: http://poetry.about.com/od/poems/l/blwordsworthodeintimations.htm


Er, sorry about the length of the comment, I just wrote a test on Wordsworth yesterday so it's all still fresh in the head.


And incidentally, I thought Sharan reads poetry. Doesn't he?

harshni said...

@Sharanya

I love the way u call William Wordsworth, "Will". Im the more Charles Baudelaire type.My friend well he studies medicine so i still am a tad surprised that he reads poetry.. I'll definitely forward ur suggestions to him and will read them myself too..

Sharan and classic poetry? Somehow i doubt that!!

Vigneash said...

@ Sharanya:
Tat guys a freak. He is a mini Einstein caught in the wrong place. Hmmm, guess should write a post bout him soon.

Vijay G S said...

My dad used to tell this poem without any glithces until he passed away at 82 years !